Seamus Liam O’Brien
Muralist/Sign Painter. New York, NY. (2011-present)
- Design and create hand painted signs and murals for galleries and businesses.
Select clients include: David Zwirner Gallery, Brooklyn Robot Foundry, Sweetgreens, The Brooklyn Museum, The Journal Gallery.
Kaikai Kiki New York. Operations Manager. Long Island City, NY (2014-present)
- Maintain all studio facilities and equipment at the NY office and oversee packing/shipping of artwork. Advise studio staff on paint production matters and assist with exhibition development.
Freelance Art Handler/Preparator. New York, NY (2010-present)
- Art handling and fine art installation of 2-D and 3-D works for museums, galleries, artists, collectors, auction houses, foundations, corporations, and estates. (Select clients include: Japan Society, Kaikai Kiki Gallery, R and Company, David Zwirner Gallery, Jill Newhouse Gallery, Crozier Fine Arts, Sotheby's)
Mickalene Thomas Studio. Production Manager. Brooklyn, NY (2012)
- Managed studio staff in the production of paintings for the artist Mickalene Thomas.
Selected projects include: ‘The Origins of the Universe’ (Brooklyn Museum, NY)
'How to Organize A Room Around a Striking Piece of Art’ (Lehmann Maupin Gallery, NY)
Kaikai Kiki New York. Studio Manager. Long Island City, NY (2006 - 2010)
- Managed a multinational studio staff in the production of paintings for the artist Takashi Murakami;
Responsible for the quality, process, and visual direction of the work.
- Scheduled and trained studio assistants in all aspects of the paint production.
- Supervised project development and coordinated exhibitions and events.
- Ordered studio supplies and materials and scheduled delivery to prioritize workflow.
- Packaged and stored fine art items and managed the handling and installation of artwork.
- Project Manager. Oversaw project development and supervised paint production for Kaikai Kiki artists exhibiting in New York.
Selected artists include: Aya Takano, MR, and Rei Sato.
- Project Manager. Managed 4000 sq. foot studio reconstruction. Building renovation included raised ceilings, two spray booths,
dark room facility with silkscreen exposure unit, expanded silkscreen storage space and wash out area/sinks. (2008)
- Project Assistant. Kaikai Kiki Design Miami; Art Basel, Miami, FL (2008)
Project Assistant. Kaikai Geisai Miami Art Fair; Art Basel, Miami, FL (2007)
Lite Brite Neon. Sign Painter/Carpenter/Stylist. Brooklyn, NY (2006)
- Scenic painting, window styling, and neon light installation for retail stores in NYC.
Selected projects include: Bergdorf Goodman, Stussy, Apple Store (SoHo), DKNY
Potbelly Sandwich Works. Sign Painter/Carpenter. Chicago, IL (2005 – 2006)
- Designed and hand painted menu boards and signs for sandwich shops located throughout the United States.
Designed and fabricated decorative store items: i.e. frames, tabletops, murals, dioramas, ceramic tiling, wood finishes, etc.
Ravenswood Studio. Scenic Artist Chicago, IL (2004 – 2005)
- Selected projects include: Salsipuedes (Houston Grand Opera), House of Blues retail store (Chicago Midway Airport)
The Ohio State University. Adjunct Teacher/Admin. Assoc. Columbus, OH (2002 – 2004)
- Gallery Preparator for the Hopkins Gallery: Performed all duties related to gallery exhibitions including installation, de-installation, shipping/receiving artwork, and coordination of staff and materials.
- Woodshop Assistant: Maintained shop equipment and provided basic instruction and technical support for tool usage.
Sunbelt Scenic Studios. Scenic Artist. Tempe, AZ (2000 – 2002)
- Scenic painting and sculpting for restaurants, retail, hospitality, theater, special events, corporate exhibits, meetings, and trade-show booths.
Sparks Exhibits and Themed Environments. Scenic Artist. Orlando, FL (1998 – 2000)
- Selected projects include: M&M Museum (Las Vegas, Nevada), Disney On-Line Retail Store (Epcot Center), Jurassic River Ride (Universal Studios Islands of Adventure), Mouse Gear Merchandise Store (Epcot Center), Pandemonium Cartoon Circus (Universal Studios Islands of Adventure)
Circus Performer (1980 – 1990)
- Performed with immediate family on circuses throughout North America.
- Clown makeup operator for the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus.
Brightworks. ‘It’s Going To Be A Circus.’ Designed and painted poster, signs, and banners for circus themed event in Toronto, Canada (2013)
Royal Pains, S.03/Ep.08, ‘Run, Hank, Run.’ Rubber duck artwork featured on TV program (2011)
Leo Burnett.’TCM Underground.’ Illustrations for national advertising campaign (2006)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs. ‘Show Your Bones.’ CD artwork (2006)
Terence O’Brien. ‘Close, But No Cigar. A Street Urchins Tale.’ Book cover illustration (2005)
Oyster Bay Main Street Association Facade and Sign Grant. Oyster Bay, NY (2016)
New York Foundation for the Arts Fellowship Award in Printmaking/Drawing/Book Arts. New York, NY (2014)
Joan Mitchell Foundation Fellowship Award. Vermont Studio Center. Johnson, VT (2010)
Illinois Arts Council Fellowship Award. Chicago, IL (2007)
Project Fellowship Award. The Ohio Staters Inc. Columbus, OH (2004)
Edith Fergus-Gilmore Memorial Grant. Columbus, OH (2003, 2004)
Selected Publications, Reviews, etc.
Interview. NBC News Website (2015)
Exploring Studio Materials. Publisher: Oxford University Press (2015)
Artist’s studio became gallery. DNAinfo New York (2014)
Art Journaling Magazine. Vol. 05/Issue 02 (2013)
Murakami Versailles. Publisher: Editions Xavier Barral (2011)
Interview. Neighborhood Beat: Prospect Heights- Brooklyn Independent Television (2011)
© Murakami. Publisher: Rizzoli (2007)
Featured artist on MTV’s ‘The Reality Show.’ Hosted by Andy Dick (2005)
Play Ground. Columbus Alive. Columbus, OH (2005)
Come on Down! Columbus Alive. Columbus, OH (2004)
The A–List. Columbus Alive. Columbus, OH (2003)
The Ohio State University. Columbus, OH (2012)
University of Central Missouri. Warrensburg, MO (2010)
Union College. Albany, NY (2007)
The Ohio State University. MFA Printmaking. Columbus, OH (2004)
Arizona State University. Tempe, AZ (2000-2002)
The University of Florida. BFA Drawing. Gainesville, FL (1997)